If you think it’s easy for clients to decide which consultant to work with, think again. They have lots to consider:
1. Why do we need to change this thing?
2. Why is it a priority right now?
3. Why is this consultant the right one for the job?
And that’s before we get onto the risks, organisational politics, previous experiences, resources, and so on.
So, how do clients know you’re the right consultant?
Most consultancy firms have a positioning statement, or value proposition, or similar – they all look and sound the same. They’re often self-referenced and self-serving. They don’t tell the client much about you (the consultant) other than what you do, and perhaps how you do it.
These messages do serve a purpose though, which is letting potential client’s know they’re in the right vicinity. I wrote about this and the Zombie Attack Consultancy.
So, your positioning statement lets people knows they are in the right vicinity. But, how would they know you’re the right consultant?
Simple. Tell them what you think. More precisely tell them what you think about the way things – in your arena of expertise – should be done. Offer your perspective in a way that differentiates you from other consultants.
That means telling people what you really think … not the dull, diluted, same-as all the other consultants, heard it before, stuff. Offer an opinion like these three examples:
1. This recent article by Christine Downton. Notice how it’s provocative, without being obnoxious. She’s achieved that by pacing the client’s world experience and then leading them with her thoughts about what’s possible instead.
2. This report – download and read page 9 – gives a retrospective on Kevin Waudby’s and Andrew Bathgate’s views and how traction with the market can take a while.
3. And this video – “The Rise Of Streetwear” by Cameron Maxwell and Tania Ferreira which is different, fascinating and insightful.
All three offer a unique perspective and showcase the consultant’s point-of-view. Clients get to see who you are, and what you believe in.
And, that’s when clients know you’re the right consultant.
Please drop me a line if you have something similar to showcase. I’d love to see what you’re doing.